When you think of Cambodia, Angkor Wat, and the incredible cultural sites usually comes to mind. However, did you know that Cambodia has some fantastic nightlife in its cities?
Today I’m going to share with you some of my favorite Cambodian nightlife experiences. I hope this helps you plan some great nights out on your next trip to this incredible country!
Looking for things to do in Cambodia? Check the 25 best things to do in Cambodia.
Siem Reap Nightlife
Siem Reap has many great nightlife options, and these are mainly located on Pub Street. This area is filled with international bars and restaurants and backpacker budget-friendly drinking spots.
Many of these venues stay open as late as 4 am, and beers start from just $1! Many people ask the question, is Cambodia cheaper than Thailand? And for nightlife and drinking, I would certainly say it is!
Bars are constantly offering promotions and happy hours, so keep an eye out for good discounts. Here are some of my top recommendations for the Siem Reap area:
- Angkor What? Bar Known for being the first bar on Pub Street, this bar is usually crowded with backpackers and young travelers every night. The pub contains fun neon graffiti and messages from previous visitors. Angkor What? offers the usual options of beers, shots, cocktails, and buckets. Open until 3 am every day, and 4 am on Friday and Saturday nights, you won’t want to miss this spot!
- Laundry Bar Popular with ex-pats, this late-night bar is perfect for a relaxed night out. They have a selection of over 25,000 music albums and so every night here has a different atmosphere. Laundry Bar is located to the east of the Old Market and is open until 4 am every night.
- Picasso Bar just a couple of minutes away from Pub Street, Picasso bar offers some great drink promotions. Happy hours run from 5 pm to 9 pm each night. The bar offers some unique cocktails, and I’d recommend trying the Chocolate Cake cocktail!
- Soul Train Reggae Bar If you’re looking for a different musical scene, check out Soul Train Reggae Bar on Pub Street. From Tuesday to Sunday they are open until 4 am every night. The only reggae bar in the city, they offer a massive selection of drinks and great music every night.
Check our best selection of places to stay in Siem.
Phnom Penh Nightlife
Over the past few years, I’ve noticed significant changes in the nightlife scene in Phnom Penh. New bars and venues are regularly opening, so there’s always somewhere new to visit.
Here are my favorite places in the city to suit all tastes and budgets:
- Candy Bar. With over 100 Cambodian girls working as hostesses here, it’s one of the most popular venues in the area. It’s a 24-hour bar playing hip-hop and rock music. Saturday night is a great night to visit, with a live DJ. You can also enjoy sports on TV’s here and excellent food choices.
- Club Love. Located in the popular backpacker area of BKK1, this nightclub offers a casual and inexpensive night out. Happy hour takes place between 11 and midnight, and Club Love is open daily. Every Wednesday night ladies get a free shot on arrival!
- Eclipse Sky Bar. If you are looking for a slightly classier evening out, head to the 23rd floor of the Phnom Penh Tower. This bar is open 24 hours a day, but sunset is the best time to experience it. It’s a fully open-air venue with incredible views in every direction. Between 5 pm and 7 pm take advantage of happy hour with 30% off drinks.
This popular coastal city offers a good range of choices for nightlife. From cheap bars to more luxury offerings, there’s something for every visitor:
- Five Men Fresh Beer. For a relaxed start to your evening, head to this beer hall which is open until midnight. Beers are made on site, and they have a wide range of craft beers on the menu. Located on Mithona Street by Independence Beach.
- Otres Corner. Hosting monthly full moon parties, this is the liveliest beach bar in the area. Cocktails start at just $1.50 (US dollars) and expect fire shows and live DJs during the full moon party. Other nights are still fun here, with a more relaxed atmosphere.
- Jack & Daniels Bar. Located in Serendipity, this is a late-night backpacker bar in a popular party area. Jack & Daniels attracts a wide range of patrons, including local Cambodian women and men. They play a great variety of music with live DJ’s and are open until the early morning hours.
Cambodia Nightlife Tips
While it is a very friendly and welcoming country, here are a few of my top tips for experiencing the nightlife in Cambodia:
- Be aware of drink spiking (who doesn’t love free drugs? 🙂 Keep an eye on your drink and buy your own drinks. If you feel yourself getting extremely drowsy or animated, get help immediately.
- Drunk driving is an ongoing issue in Cambodia. Be careful who you ride with and pay attention while walking along roads and pavements.
- It might not be the sex capital of the world, but prostitution in Cambodia is a massive industry. However, if you are going to indulge in these activities, be very aware of the health risks involved.
- Keep your valuables as close to you as possible at all times. Don’t keep your expensive electronics out on show too much.
- Use a money belt and don’t carry an unnecessary amount of cash with you on a night out.
- If you need to use an ATM, make sure it’s in a covered venue and looks legitimate.
- Dress appropriately for a night out to help avoid unwanted attention.
- Only drink bottled water and make sure the cap is sealed before drinking. Avoid ice in drinks as much as possible.
- When choosing restaurants, try to stick to popular venues with good reviews.
I hope this Cambodia nightlife guide has got you excited for your next night out in this fun country. Your money will go a long way here, and you’ll have some great nights to remember (or not!).
Before planning a trip, make sure you check when is the best time to visit Cambodia.
Take sensible precautions and visit well-recommended venues and you’ll have a fantastic, inexpensive experience with Cambodia’s nightlife.
LIKE IT? PIN IT